The following details the Live Trial of the EECS prototype that took placce between the Waterford Institute of Technology, Ireland and The Technical University of Lodz, Poland in the first and second quarter of 2011.
The above diagram describes in graphical form an outline of the EECS start to finish procedures. The example given represents two campuses; Campus A located in Ireland and Campus B located in Poland. The following is a guide as to how the (push-pull) system worked:
- Student ‘X’ from Campus A in Ireland is required to study in Campus B in Poland.
- Student ‘X’ requests Campus A in Ireland to transfer (push) all necessary academic and card application information required by Campus B in Poland into the Central Data Exchange System (CDES). To enable the activation of this process, Student ‘X’ must insert the campus ID card into the card reader of the Information Transmission System (ITS) in Ireland, where a unique security code is placed on the microchip of the card.
- Student ‘X’ travels to Campus B in Poland, and authorises the HE institution to retrieve (pull) the relevant information from the CDES into the academic management system and the card management system as appropriate. To enable access to the information, Student ‘X’ must insert the campus ID card into the card reader of the ITS in Poland. The unique security code on the microchip grants the HE institution access to the required information and authenticates the transfer process.
- Upon completion of study term in Poland, Student ‘X’ can, if required, request that all appropriate data be transferred back (push) to Campus A in Ireland. To enable this request, Student ‘X’ must insert the ID card into the card reader at the ITS in Poland. The appropriate data will be pushed back into the CDES. On return to Campus A in Ireland, Student ‘X’ can request the institution to pull the information from the CDES. Again, Student ‘X’ will be required to insert the ID card into the card reader at the ITS in Ireland to authenticate the process.
- Once the process of information transfer is complete, the unique security code on the card is removed. With the removal of the unique security code, no information can be accessed or transferred by any institution.
© European Education Connectivity Solution (EECS) All Rights Reserved